Fri, 22 Mar|
Morocco: from the Atlas Mountains to the Sahara Desert
Come explore the Atlas Mountains and the Sahara Desert on this adventure! The adventure starts in Imlil, the Moroccan Chamonix, where we start our multi-day trek exploring the Berber villages. In the last days we will explore the desert, staying overnight in the dunes, like nomads.
Time and place
22 Mar 2024, 10:00 – 29 Mar 2024, 17:00
Marrakech, Marrakech, Morocco
About the event
Friday, March 22nd:
Arrival at Marrakech airport
Transfer from the airport to the accommodation in Marrakech
Saturday, March 23rd:
Marrakech - Imi Oughlad - Tinzert
Transfer from Marrakech to Imlil. At Imi Oughlad (1450m) we will meet our Berber guide and lunch. The first day will be an easy acclimatization with a hike in Ouirgane National Park. The terrain here is softer and the landscape is greener with coniferous trees.
Overnight in a hostel in Tinzert, a small and rustic Berber village
App walk. 4 hours.
Sunday, March 24th:
Tinzert - Azzaden Valley (Ait Aissa):
After breakfast, we head to the stunning Azzaden Valley. Views open onto the imposing mountain range surrounded by lush walnut orchards. At the top of the valley you can see the Toubkal peak and its twin peaks.
Overnight in a hostel in the village of Ait Aissa.
App walk. 5-6 hours
Monday, March 25th:
Ait Aissa - Tizi n Mzik - Imlil:
Today's activity involves a fantastic climb out of the Azzadene Valley. We head towards Tizi Oussem, climb Tizi n Mzik (2489m) before returning to Imlil for a relaxing end of the day (or walking around and exploring the city).
Overnight at Guesthouse in Imlil
App walk. 4-5 hours
Tuesday, March 26th:
Imlil - Dades Valley
At 9 am we will be transported out of the Atlas Mountains towards the impressive Tizi-n-Tichka mountain pass. Along the way we will find numerous Berber villages and, once we reach the desert, we will see some riverside oases and muddy hills with Kasbahs (fortified dwellings that house families and livestock).
We will have the opportunity to visit the Ouarzazate Film Studios, where productions such as the Jewel of the Nile, Gladiator, Alexander the Great and Babel were filmed.
Arriving at the Dades Gorge, we can relax at the hotel or take a short hike.
Overnight in Dades
Total travel time: 7 hours
Wednesday, March 27th:
Dades Valley - Todra Gorge - Merzouga
- Breakfast at the hotel
- Transfer to the Todra Gorge, a massive fault that divides the Atlas Mountains. In this narrow valley we can find Berber villages with palm groves.
- Walk to explore the palm grove and a green oasis with large date palms.
- After lunch we head to Merzouga, the village that is the gateway to the desert.
- Fuel up for the desert trip
- Transfer to a kasbah to choose a camel
- Sunset camel ride (1:30h) to a Berber camp
- Typical Moroccan dinner
- Sleep under the stars in tents
Total travel time: 6 hours
Thursday, March 28th:
Merzouga - Marrakech
We wake up early, before sunrise, and go on a camel for a 1h30 ride to Merzouga.
Breakfast in Merzouga + opportunity to take a shower.
Start of the journey through the rocky desert and Atlas Mountains to Marrakech, with plenty of stops for photos and lunch.
Arrival in Marrakech around 17:00 - 18:00.
Total travel time: 10 hours
Overnight in Marrakech
Friday, March 29th:
Transfer to the airport
- The cruise to Corvo Island is subject to maritime conditions. In case of impossibility of carrying out the cruise, we will present the group with an alternative program
- On the pedestrian trails, there are muddy and slippery sections, so the use of appropriate footwear is mandatory.
Price and conditions
Price: €730.00 per person
From the 1st of January 2024 the price will be €780 per person
- All transfers
- English speaking Berber guide for Trekking in the Atlas
- Berber cook for Atlas Trekking
- Lunchboxes and mules for assistance for Trekking in the Atlas
- Quimera Guide
- 1 Night in Dar Adrar (Half Board)
- Overnights in mountain lodges during Trekking in the Atlas
- All meals during Trekking in the Atlas (+ mineral water, coffee and tea)
- Transport by Minibus or 4X4 for the Desert Tour
- 2 nights in hotels in Dades and Ait Benhaddou (Half Board)
- 1 night in a camp on the dunes in Erg Chebbi (Half Board)
- Camel ride in the dunes
- 2 nights in Marrakech
- transfer from and to the airport
- travel assistance insurance from Quimera Travel Experiences
What is not included:
- airplane tickets
- meals in Marrakech on the day of arrival and departure
- lunches during the trip in the desert (there will be a stop for fuel before entering the desert)
- entrances to monuments
- other extras of a personal nature
- adventure sports insurance for Trekking in the Atlas Mountains
We recommend taking the backpacker IATI, with destination Morocco (around 30€ per person)
- Flight ticket reservation service: 30€
Entry Fee: €130.00
1st installment: €200 until October 31, 2023
2nd installment: €200 until December 31, 2023
3rd installment: €200 until February 29, 2024
Registrations are valid after completing the form and sending payment of the registration fee.
Quimera Travel Experiences
- Ticket type
The remaining payments must be made on the dates indicated on the event page. You will receive an email from the event organizers close to the dates requesting each payment.Price€130.00Sold Out
- Ticket type
Extra servicePrice€30.00Sold Out
This event is sold out